What do I have to do to get a library card?
It's easy and it's free. If you live, work or go to school in the Grosse Pointe School District you're eligible for a Grosse Pointe Library card. And if you don't have time to stop by but need a card, you can get a temporary online card immediately. See below for all the details.
Get a full-service card:
- Adults should bring a valid Michigan Driver’s License or State Identification card to any library branch.
- The staff at the circulation desk will issue you a card.
- Non-residents working in Grosse Pointe Public Library District with proof of at least 20 hours per week employment are eligible for a library card at no cost.
- Non-residents who reside in a TLN community or in a MI Library Card community, are eligible for a library card at no cost.
- Non-residents may purchase a library card that includes computer and borrowing privileges for $200.00/year.
- Non-residents may use library materials in-house or use the computer for two hours/day at no charge with a valid photo ID.
- As a Grosse Pointe or Harper Woods resident or student at one of the Grosse Pointe public or private schools, you are entitled to a free library card. GPPSS Students receive their cards at their school library.
Update - Renew - Replace a card:
- If you would like to update information, need to renew, or have lost your card, do not register for an online access code. Instead, please bring your valid Michigan Driver’s License or State Identification card to the Circulation Desk of any branch.
- Library cards expire 3 years after their initial issue date. You must bring your valid Michigan Driver’s License or State Identification card to the Circulation Desk of any branch to renew your card.
- The replacement fee for lost cards is $1.00.
Register for an online card:
- Grosse Pointe and Harper Woods residents can fill out this brief form to receive your temporary access code; Non-residents please visit GPPL in person to register.
- If you have lost your card or need to renew, do not register for an online access code. Instead, please contact the Circulation Department immediately at 313-343-2074 ext.1299.
- If you are a GPPSS Student, please contact your school's Media Specialist for your card number or call our Circulation Department.
- Your online access code is valid for 30 days. Visit any GPPL branch with a valid Michigan Driver’s License or State Identification card for continued access and to upgrade to a full-service card.
- With your code you can place holds on library materials, borrow eBooks, music and movies and use our online resources.
- Click here to complete the online form
GET AN ONLINE CARD TODAY
10 totally free things you can do with your GPPL card
- Borrow an e-Book – With Overdrive you can download up to 10 books at a time.
- Learn a language – Mango languages has more than 70 languages.
- Get professional research help – Librarians are trained researchers. They’re like Google on steroids...
- Gain a career skill –LinkedIn Learning has thousands of online courses.
- Stream a movie – You can instantly borrow digital movies 24/7 with hoopla and kanopy.
- Flip through a magazine –Browse our magazines. Or access a digital magazine from Libby.
- Check out a telescope – There’s one at each branch.
- Find out about your family’s history – Come into the Library to access ancestry.com
- Borrow tools from the Library – The Central Branch has more than 100 tools you can borrow.
- Take ACT and SAT prep classes – BrainFuse has college entrance prep tests.
Library Value Calculator:
- How much money have you saved this year by using library services? Or how much are you currently paying out-of-pocket when you don't use the library? Use this calculator to get an estimate.
Tagged as: library card, card, online card