How do I get a library card?
Discover the advantages of being a member of the Library.
Membership is free to all residents of the Grosse Pointe Public School System and anyone who works in Grosse Pointe. If you don't have time to stop by but need a card, you can get a temporary online card immediately. See below for all the details.
Get a full-service card:
- Adults should bring a valid Michigan Driver’s License or State Identification card to any library branch.
- The staff at the circulation desk will issue you a card.
- Non-residents working in Grosse Pointe Public Library District with proof of at least 20 hours per week employment are eligible for a library card at no cost.
- Non-residents who reside in a TLN community or in a MI Library Card community, are eligible for a library card at no cost.
- Non-residents may purchase a library card that includes computer and borrowing privileges for $200.00/year.
- Non-residents may use library materials in-house or use the computer for two hours/day at no charge with a valid photo ID.
- As a Grosse Pointe or Harper Woods resident or student at one of the Grosse Pointe public or private schools, you are entitled to a free library card. GPPSS Students receive their cards at their school library.
Update - Renew - Replace a card:
- If you would like to update information, need to renew, or have lost your card, do not register for an temporary card. Instead, please bring your valid Michigan Driver’s License or State Identification card to the Circulation Desk of any branch.
- Library cards expire 3 years after their initial issue date. You must bring your valid Michigan Driver’s License or State Identification card to the Circulation Desk of any branch to renew your card.
- The replacement fee for lost cards is $1.00.
Register for a Temporary Card:
- Grosse Pointe and Harper Woods residents can fill out this brief form to receive your temporary card access code; Non-residents please visit GPPL in person to register.
- If you have lost your card or need to renew, do not register for an temporary card. Instead, please contact the Circulation Department immediately at 313-343-2074 ext.1299.
- If you are a GPPSS Student, please contact your school's Media Specialist for your card number or call our Circulation Department.
- Your temporary card is valid for 30 days. Visit any GPPL branch with a valid Michigan Driver’s License or State Identification card for continued access and to upgrade to a full-service card.
- With your code you can place holds on library materials, borrow eBooks, music and movies and use our online resources.
- Click here to complete the online form