WHAT: GPPL’s Thoughts to Action Book Club seeks to provide our community with a way to explore current social issues in a meaningful way. Every six months we read one culturally relevant book and then meet monthly to discuss, plan, and carry out a community project based on the book’s message.
To become a member of Thoughts to Action, click here.
THE BOOK: The Purpose of Power: How We Come Together When We Fall Apart by Alicia Garza
WHEN: 4th Thursdays, 7 p.m. via Zoom
Actions and Further Reading
Watched the documentary The 13th on YouTube (or Netflix)
· Attended “What History Do We Teach in Our Schools” on February 9
· Discussed Trayvon Martin with friends and family on 10th anniversary of his murder
· Donated past Thoughts to Action Books to Detroit Community Pantry
· Looking into volunteering with League of Women Voters for Promote the Vote
Shared by Members:
· A People’s History of the United States by Howard Zinn
· The Sum of Us: What Racism Costs Everyone and How We Can Prosper Together by Heather McGhee
· Code Switch episode They Came, They Saw, They Reckoned?
American Life episode, Talking While Black, First Act talks about a racist
incident in Traverse City, MI
· How To Talk To Your Parents About Racism : Life Kit - NPR
· Censored Authors Speak: A Roundtable about Book Banning